At our September Fine Wine Divas event, we had a great time learning about (and tasting!) wines from all across Spain…from Penedès to León to La Mancha to Rioja. We pulled out the Spanish Wine Region map (check out this great one from Wine Folly) and went on a wine tour with Jason from Swirl&Sip, our wine sponsor for the evening.
We tasted the sparkling, wine, rosé (or rosado in Spain) and red wines.
- NV Signat Semi-Seco Cava
- 2011 Heredad de Penalosa Verdejo
- 2011 Vina Altaba Rosado
- 2010 Lar de Paula Madurado
- 2008 Lar de Paula Crianza
- 2005 Lar de Paula Reserva
And while everyone enjoyed the Cava, the reds were the favorites. The top two were…
2010 Lar de Paula Madurado
- Variety: Tempranillo
- Aroma: Dark plum and bright red cherries
- Taste: Velvety plum and cherries
- Price: $13.99
- Pair with: Tapas, roast turkey or lasagna
- Our thoughts: Light and fruity yet smooth. Great value wine!
2005 Lar de Paula Reserva
- Variety: Tempranillo
- Aroma: Spice, balsamic vinegar, roasted meat
- Taste: Blackberry, tobacco, black pepper
- Price: $23.99
- Pair with: Hearty tapas, lamb with cherry reduction, or a beef stew
- Our thoughts: Big, smooth, spicy, all at a great price.
While both of these wines are 100% Tempranillo from Rioja, they underwent very different aging processes, and, in turn, are very different wines. The Madurado spent only 4 months in oak, lending it a lighter, fruitier characteristic, while the Reserva spent 18 months in oak, and then aged for 18 more months in the bottle, leaving it big, spicy and intense.
One of the Wine Divas summed it up well, “These red wines are the kind I can spend a night with!”
We paired the wines with Spanish cheeses and Mediterranean tapas which truly demonstrated how food friendly Spanish wine is. While the Divas weren’t crazy about the Verdejo and Rosado, once paired with food they were really nice.
Our lovely sponsor, Swirl & Sip, currently offers a selection of high value wines (including all of the wines above) online. Their first wine shop is scheduled to open later this fall in Fairfax’s Mosaic District, and will offer a tasting bar, an expanded selection of unique and delicious wines, hand-crafted beers and gourmet foods from passionate producers. Sign up for their newsletter online to stay up to date on the grand opening!
Now I need a real trip to these wine regions! Salud to Spanish wines!Tagged As:
2005 Lar de Paula Reserva, 2010 Lar de Paula Madurado, Fine Wine Divas, Rioja, Spanish Wine, Swirl&Sip, Tempranillo