Our Fine Wine Divas October event was all about this delicious season, Autumn Food & Wine Pairings.
We gathered at the fabulous new hotel and hot spot in Washington, DC, The Graham Georgetown, in their farm-to-table restaurant, A.G.B.
And our wine selection for the evening took us around the world:
- NV Steininger Grüner Veltliner from Austria
- 2012 Idiot’s Grace Riesling from Washington, USA
- 2009 Paul Hobbs Pinot Noir from California, USA
- 2009 Domaine Rois Mages Rully Blanc “Les Callioux,” from France
- 2003 Castello di Lucignano Chianti Classico Riserva from Italy
- 2011 Venge Vineyards Scout’s Honor from California
- 2003 Leonetti Cabernet Sauvignon from Washington
While we enjoyed all of the wines, our top two for the evening were:
- Variety: Grüner Veltliner (sparkling) from Kamptal Valley, Austria
- Aroma: Blossoms and stone fruit
- Taste: Lychee and citrus
- Price: $23.99
- Pair with: Salty or fried appetizers, or on its own as an apertif
- My thoughts: This was a real treat! Not only did I enjoy this sparking wine from Austria but it reminded me I need to try more Grüner Veltliner as a refreshing white wine.
- Variety: Pinot Noir from Napa Valley, California
- Aroma: Black raspberries, plum and forest floor
- Taste: Creamy and spicy plums
- Price: $70
- Pair with: Anything with mushrooms, seafood and roast chicken
- My thoughts: Elegant, smooth, and comforting, and a nice fuller bodied Pinot Noir.
While the Grüner was served on its own, it would also work well with the delicious charcuterie. The Pinot Noir was versatile enough to pair with everything, but we particularly enjoyed it with a savory mushroom and blue cheese crostini.
Our lovely host for the evening, The Graham Hotel, is Washington DC’s newest boutique hotel. The restaurant was delicious and cozy. The Observatory, the rooftop bar and lounge, offers guest panoramic views of the nation’s capital. It was the hot spot this summer as the only rooftop bar in Georgetown.
Everyone walked away with some great new ideas for wine and food pairings for the season.
Cheers to Autumn!Tagged As:
2009 Paul Hobbs Pinot Noir, Austrian Wine, Autumn, California Wine, Grüner Veltliner, NV Steininger Grüner Veltliner Sekt, Pinot Noir, Sparkling Wine