Summer Whites from Lodi, California
Back in the Fall, I discovered a new wine region…Lodi, California. Just 100 miles east of San Francisco, it has been flourishing since 1850. Lodi is predominately a red wine-producing region and is the self-proclaimed Zinfandel Capital of the World, producing over 32% of California’s premium Zinfandel. But the region also grows 20-30 different white wine grapes.
This week I was treated to a virtual tour of five of those wines…I always love finding a new Summer White!
Due to its unique Mediterranean climate, Lodi can produce a full range of white wines. From mineral-laden Iberian wines like Garnacha Blanca to rare, food-friendly varieties like Gewürztraminer, to classic staples like Sauvignon Blanc, to full-bodied, exotically scented versions of Viognier – Lodi has it all when it comes to world-class white wines.
Here is the line-up I tried…
• 2013 Borra Vineyards Artist Series Nuvola Gewürztraminer (SRP $19): Nuvola, Italian for cloud, is full of lemon, lychee and green apple. An interesting American Gewürtz for sure!
• 2013 Bokisch Vineyards Garnacha Blanca Vista Luna Vineyard (SRP $18)
• 2013 Acquiesce Winery & Vineyards Viognier (SRP $23): This is Lodi’s only dedicated white wine winery. The Viognier is full of peach, honey and tangerine served up in a gorgeous bottle imported from France.
• 2013 Heritage Oak Winery Sauvignon Blanc (SRP $18): This white is 80% Sauvignon Blanc and 20% Sauvignon Musquee making a very citrusy wine.
• 2012 Uvaggio Moscato Secco (SRP $14): Uvaggio winery is located in Napa but only sources from Lodi. This dry Moscato (‘secco’) has notes of gardenia, jasmine and tropical fruits.
- Region: Lodi, California
- Variety: 90% Garnacha Blanca, 10% Albarino
- Aroma: Fuji apple and grapefruit
- Taste: Peach, ripe melon, apricot and agave
- Price: $18
- My thoughts: Love this wine! Funnily enough it was the one I picked to open prior to the tasting AND it turned out to be my favorite. Not a drop is left! Markus Bokisch has been heard to say: “I love Lodi because Lodi reminds me of Spain.” This wine is Certified Green by the Lodi Rules of Sustainable Winegrowing.
Definitely a region worth checking out for red and white wines.
Cheers to Summer Whites!
2013 Bokisch Vineyards Garnacha Blanca Vista Luna Vineyard, California Wine, Garnacha Blanca, Lodi