Bubbles in Virginia: Trump Winery
Virginia now has eleven wineries producing sparkling wine and Trump Winery is making two great examples.
Last week #VAWineChat featured Trump Winery, their Sparkling Winemaker Jonathan Wheeler, and the SP Blanc De Blanc 2008 and SP Rosé 2008. Jonathan shared with us some background on Trump Winery, formerly Kluge Winery, and their sparkling wines…
- Their Sparkling vineyards, planted with Chardonnay, Pinot Noir and Pinot Meunier, were chosen because of their unique microclimates in the Monticello AVA.
- Largest planting is 95 acres of chardonnay. 50% of vineyard production is dedicated to Sparkling.
- They hand pick all the fruit for Sparkling by night and gently press to retain the fruit’s best qualities.
- They are only making vintage Sparkling wine which is very different than others in Virginia.
- Their Sparkling wines are made in the true tradition of Champagne using Méthode Champenoise.
- Trump Winery has the capacity to produce and finish over 100,000 gallons of wine a year. The 2008 Blanc de Blanc produced 8,000 cases while the 2008 Rosé was only 1,200 cases.
While the 2008 Blanc de Blanc is delicious…100% Chardonnay and aromas / tastes of cooked apple & pear pastry…the Rosé was my favorite.
- Region: Monticello AVA in Charlottesville, Virginia
- Variety: 95% Chardonnay, 5% Pinot Noir
- Aroma: Raspberry and strawberry
- Taste: Crisp red fruits with hints of toast
- Price: $29
- My thoughts: The gorgeous color and delicious taste make this a great every day or special occasion sparkler.
Trump Winery continues to receive accolades and awards for their work, building on what Kluge Winery started helping put Virginia wine on the map. Most recently Trump Winery’s 2008 Blanc de Noir was named Top Ten American sparkling wines by Gayot. And their Tasting Room is a beautiful place to visit.
Cheers to bubbles in Virginia!Tagged As:
Monticello Wine Trail, Sparkling, Sparkling Wine, Trump Winery, Trump Winery SP Blanc De Blanc 2008, Trump Winery SP Rosé 2008, Virginia Wine