Exploring the Wines of South America
At our November Fine Wine Divas event, we explored the wide variety of South American wines tasting from Chile to Uruguay to Argentina. It’s a vast country of wine regions to explore. This great map from Wine Folly is perfect guide for finding your way around.
As we learned, the South American wine industry is booming. Now 6th in worldwide wine production, South America (and their wineries) are taking major strides to improve the sustainability of their wine industry practices. In fact, the Chilean government has committed millions of dollars to promoting “Wines of Chile” in the United States. Additionally, Chile has launched the most comprehensive sustainability initiative covering agricultural, environmental and energy conservation practices and social responsibility towards its workers ad communities.
The white and red wine line-up included…
- NV Alma Negra Misterio Rosé (Argentina)
- 2013 Legado Torrontes (Argentina)
- 2012 Tabalí Viognier Reserve (Chile)
- 2010 Luca Chardonnay (Argentina)
- 2011 Bodegas Carrau Pinot Noir de Reserva (Uruguay)
- 2011 Terra Andina Carmenere (Chile)
- 2010 Bodega Colomé Estate Malbec (Argentina)
- 2011 Undurruga Sibaris Riserva Especial Cabernet Sauvignon (Chile)
The favorites for the evening? Two very distinct Malbecs…
NV Alma Negra Misterio Rosé
- Region: Argentina
- Variety: Malbec (Sparkling)
- Aroma: Strawberry, rose petals
- Taste: Intense strawberry, licorice
- Price: $24.99
- My thoughts: Delicious sparkling Rosé that would make a perfect apertif for your holiday meals.
2010 Bodega Colomé Estate Malbec
- Region: Argentina
- Variety: Malbec
- Aroma: Blackberries, cherries, violets
- Taste: Black cherries, blackberries, velvety mouthfeel
- Price: $23.99
- My thoughts: Full bodied smooth and elegant alternative to a Cabernet Sauvignon.
Another great thing about South American wine is the price points. While the two favorites above were over $20, the others ranged from $13 to $15.
Cheers to the great things happening in South American wine!Tagged As:
Argentina Wine, Chilean Wine, South American Wine, Uruguay Wine, Wine, Wines of Chile