Puglia: Masseria Torre Coccaro, Our Home Away from Home
As we pulled off the paved back road just off the sea onto the quiet dirt road per our TomTom instructions, we came upon two white stone pillars and a gate which opened to the gorgeous grounds of Masseria Torre Coccaro. We circled around the drive and into view came the pure white washed main house of the Masseria dripping with pinkish flowers and green vines. I knew we had picked the right place to call home for our week in Puglia!
Masseria are old fortified farmhouses of Pugliaâ€¦ many have been turned into bed and breakfasts or to five star hotels like this one. Torre Coccaro has so many fabulous offerings and amazing service that you could never leave to explore Puglia.
* Grounds: Gorgeous gardens and olive tree groves surround the property. We wandered around our first morning after breakfast and couldn’t believe all the secluded spots we discovered. The vegetable garden was alive with grape vines, fennel, almond trees, radishes, chicory, zucchini, artichokes and figs. A secret path leads you to the billiards room and event space. There’s ample outside seating areas constructed out of the white washed remains of the masseria. There’s even a beautiful little chapel off the main courtyard.
* Accommodations: Our superior room on the backside of main courtyard was Italian rustic country style. Our front porch terrace draped with pink beach roses was complete with lounge chairs and table where we spent many evenings with a rosÃ© watching the sunset behind the broccoli field and olive trees. As you entered through our red wooden double doors, you came into another sitting area then the bedroom with crisp white bed linens and white linen canopy hanging overhead. The only noises we heard in the morning were birds chirping. There are 39 rooms and suites to chose from.
* Restaurants: Egnathia is the main restaurant where the amazing breakfast spread is servedâ€¦fresh fruit table, meats and cheeses, long pastry table or order from the menu. The dinners are divine! We had three here for the food AND atmosphereâ€¦ low lighting, candles, sitting outside looking out onto the white washed Masseria. The Cabana by the pool is the perfect setting for lunch as is the Coccaro Beach Club where we had lunch one day. Opening night of the beach club restaurant was during our stayâ€¦ a big crowd was expected for an into the morning party.
* Spa: Ahhh! You’ll find this sanctuary through a small secret red door. You descend the steps into Aveda spa that’s been build into the rock for a relaxing treatment. I opted for Massagio Olio d’Oliva as it’s the ‘liquid gold’ of Puglia. And the olive oil used for the massage was from the trees on the property! Whether in your treatment room or enjoying the whirlpool tub after, you’ll feel like you’re in a secluded cave. I used the Turkish Hammam then fell asleep on the lounge bed by the whirlpool. If you’re so inclined, there’s also a nice gym surrounded by windows so you feel like you’re exercising outside.
* Beach & Pool: The pool is a great spot to laze away the day. It’s constructed to look almost like you’re on the beach with a ‘sand’ entrance and surrounded by a small pier. Or head to the beach (a 10 minute drive or shuttle ride away) and enjoy their Coccaro Beach Club. We spent half a day here but wish we had more time. Swim in the blue waters of the Salento sea and soak up the sun on one of their beach chairs.
The Masseria staff is extremely accommodating. They can arrange many activities to enjoy like tours of the local towns, cooking classes or horseback riding.
Yet with all that’s available, Masseria Torre Coccaro is quaint, quiet and other than the lovely people around you at the restaurant or pool, we felt like we had this gem all to ourselves!Tagged As:
Aveda Spa, Italy, Masseria Torre Coccaro, Puglia